Termites are one of the most harmful pests that homeowners will ever encounter. Termites cause more than RM 40,000.00 in damages every year in Malaysia; harming your finances, stressing you out, and potentially could cause a structure to unsafe for occupancy. Furthermore, termite damage is generally not covered by home insurance policies. There are almost 2,000 termites species that are distributed widely around the world with subterranean termites being one of the most destructive species.
Subterranean termites live underground and build their colonies near sources of moisture above ground. They often build tunnels referred to as ‘mud tubes’ to reach food sources in order to survive.
Termites are drawn to your house by moisture, cracks in the building exterior, and wood-to-ground contact. The most visible way to tell if you have a termite infestation are evidenced by the following signs:
- Swarmers or discarded wings
- Mud tubes
- Wood damage
- Damage under paint or wallpaper
Here are some prevention tips that can reduce the risk of a termite infestation:
- Inspecting your home on a regular basis will give you a good visual indication if there is an infestation so you can act early to prevent further damage
- Eliminate moisture and standing water
- Monitor any noticeable change in your door frames, skirting boards, windows, and other wooden areas in your home
A termites infestation is not something that can be treated via DIY methods. If you suspect any termite activity on your property, please seek help from a professional Pest Control Company. The Ridpest Team is ready to assist you and we would be able to inspect and offer assistance if your home has a termite problem.
If you have a problem with termites, contact Ridpest today to get a quote.